Sunday, November 8, 2009

Plastics IN Pedals





After my first post on the prevalance of plastic pedals, I recieved and broke my Odyssey glow-in-the-dark pedals... In one day! I was immediately surprised, as I had used some black Odyssey plastics for a long time without an issue. After some thinking and research, I came up with why there was such a dramaic difference between the two: the black pedals were nylon, while the glow pedals were polycarbonate. This post will focus on a few different materials used in plastic pedals.



Nylon's major advantage is directional nature, and toughness. It was originally designed for use in tooth brushes, and has since been adapted for seat belts, safety vests, and ballistic cloth. What this shows us is the direction in which nylon has developed: to be tough and reliable. The fiber/directional nature of nylon lends to its higher shear modulous.

Polycarbonates, although exhibiting excellent impact resistance, lacks in shear strength. This is where my pedal failed. The right hit, at the right angle cracked the pedal. There must be advantages in polycarbonates for BMX, right? Well, yes, they have a lot of pretty colors, including UV activated and glowing, and are increasingly used in other industries (reducing prices).


So where does that leave us? Well for me, the colors are not worth the annoyance of changing pedals often... even at such a low price. That leaves me leaning toward nylon. In thinking about it, though, I wondered if there were pedals out there using fiber reinforcement (i.e. composites). Quickly, I came across Eclat, a brand I am becoming more fond of. They are using fiberglass reinforced nylon in their Surge PC pedals. Although I would prefer carbon fiber, it is a definite improvement. The weight is virtually the same, and the price is still low (that's where the fiberglass has the advantage). Now the real question is which semi-transparent color...

EDIT: I just saw that Fly is also coming out with nylon-fiberglass ruben pedals. Woohoo! But I need pedals now, not December, so Eclat here I come.

EDIT 2: As Martin pointed out in the comments, Eastern is using carbon fiber re-enforcement in their pedals. Though, they do not list what type of plastic is used. We'll have to see which pedals survive in the market, but CF is not a bad idea.

1 comment:

  1. eastern plastics are made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic

    ReplyDelete